Riding a bicycle or tricycle is a way of life in Denmark and a few other countries. According to this first video below only 40 % of the people of the city of Copenhagen, Denmark own automobiles. The other 60 % use their bikes for not only personal transportation, but for shopping and taking their families along with them. It is a way of life for them. In order to accomplish this they have various types of “cargo bikes and trikes” they use. Here are some videos showing how they do things …

I think it is safe to say that we have a long way to go in this area of bicycling and motorists here in the United States. I am sure most of us have experienced some really bad attitudes of motorists toward cyclists. One thing I found interesting is that young children are taught cycling in school and become proficient at it. We surely need something like that here as both children and adults all too often are meandering all over the place when they ride rather than go in a straight line staying where they should and making it much safer for everybody.

Rush hour traffic here in the United States is notoriously bad in many large cities (and small ones too). What about Copenhagen? How do you suppose traffic flows there during rush hour?

One thing that wasn’t mentioned is dealing with winter time … not only cold temperatures, but snow and ice. I wonder if they use studded tires in the winter time. I decided to check for a video of winter riding …

As you can see in the video there are not nearly as many cyclists out in that nasty cold weather but still the numbers are impressive. I go out riding in the winter when it is similar temperatures (even several degree warmer) and I rarely see another cyclists out there. We are a bunch of wimps here in America.

Snow removal is an important and appreciated matter for cyclists. Here is a video showing this. I have to admit I don’t understand why they left the snow in the middle.

I did spot some headlights, taillights and reflectors, but no safety flags. But when it was dark I didn’t see any lights turned on. Now that I really find that strange and don’t understand it. Finally I came across a video where I did see a few lights turned on, but most of the bikes riding along together with them did not have their lights turned on. I use mine all the time and most of my riding is in the daytime.

Here is an interesting video about cycling in Copenhagen …

Design is all important … giving thought to the matter and building infrastructure accordingly. I like the theme … “humans designing for humans”.

And speaking of planning and building with cyclists in mind check out what they built …

I doubt if we will ever become like these folks here in America. It is interesting though. For most of us we would be living quite dangerously if we attempted to use our bikes or trikes to do our shopping. I do use my tadpole trike to run errands of various sorts. I have not only grocery shopped, but I have gone to doctor appointments, restaurants, hardware stores, etc.

If you like these videos there are a few more of them available to view HERE.

One thing very lacking in these videos … I never spotted a single tadpole trike. Did you? I also didn’t see any velomobiles which surprised me. I did a search on YouTube for these but didn’t find anything. All I can say is … they don’t know what they are missing. Maybe a wider tadpole trike/velomobile just doesn’t fit in … literally … in all that bike traffic. But this next video may explain why …

It would be pretty impractical to get off of a tadpole trike and walk it across intersections. I really don’t understand this video however. All the other videos show cyclists riding thru intersections and there in no mention of walking a bicycle thru an intersection except in this video.

Well, I don’t live there and where I do live we have tadpole trikes for which I am quite thankful. And I plan to …



Author: Steve Newbauer

I have a few current blogs (tadpolerider1, navysight, truthtoponder and stevesmixedbag) so I am keeping busy. I hope you the reader will find these blogs interesting and enjoy your time here. Feel free to email me at tadpolerider2 at gmail dot com (

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.